Saturday, November 3, 2007

Treatment #3, the next day

Uneventful day. Well, not really. I spent a lot of someone else's money today.

Had my $3,000 Neulasta shot. Isn't that a sin? What do people without health insurance cope with the high cost of health care?

Then I hit my pharmacy for a chat with Anne, my pharmacist, about all the drugs I'm taking. I want to be sure I'm taking them at the right time of day so they all do the job they're supposed to do. She thinks I'm on track with everything, so I won't fret.

I'm on two new anti-nausea drugs with the cycle, Emend and Decadron. Also a new one for break-thru nausea, Reglan. The nursing staff at the oncology center think I can have better days following treatment that I've had the last two rounds. I assumed I was paying the price for going through chemo with a couple of tough days--we'll see how it goes this time. So far today has been OK, nothing to really complain about that way. A bit of gastrointestinal distress and (now after dinner) a flushed face.

Let's take a look at my drug prices, shall we?
** Emend, $391.99 for three pills; day of chemo, day after, second day after; $25 co-pay
** Decadron, $37.99 for 60 tabs; one evening of chemo, two day after, two second day (morning and evening each, and one third day; $10 co-pay
** Zofran, $309.00 for 10 tabs; one evening of chemo, one next day, one second day; $10 co-pay
** Reglan, $14.99 for 30 tabs; as needed; $8.55 co-pay
** Prilosec, $79.99 for 30 caps; daily since week before chemo started and to continue for one month after chemo ends; $10 co-pay

** Compazine (first break-thru nausea drug they gave me, didn't work well, threw it out this morning because I have Reglan) $22.99 for 30 tabs, $10 co-pay

Absolutely amazing. Are we all in the wrong line of work?

No comments: