Monday, November 26, 2007

Baby, it’s cold outside!


You know that theory that you lose 30% of your body heat through your head? Or is it higher than that? Whatever the percent, now that I’m bald, I’m a big fan of hats.


You know that theory that you lose 30% of your body heat through your head? Or is it higher than that? Whatever the percent, now that I’m bald, I’m a big fan of hats.

My head and ears are always cold these days. And so are my feet. I can’t figure out the correlation between not wearing a hat on my head and having cold feet. I’ve even been known (by no more than two people and one cat) to wear a hat in bed. Flannel sheets up around my nose and a red knit cap on my head. It’s a wicked attractive look.

Not that I’m glad all this has happened, but it if had to, I’m happy it’s happening in cold weather. I can hide my head under hats and bandanas (although I’m daring myself to go au naturel to the office some one of these days). Hats in the middle of a summer heat event would be a sad time for everyone involved.

Another sad fact of having no hair is that I can’t push my eyeglasses up on top of my head any more. That was always the place I felt first when I needed my reading glasses (and unless you wear glasses you won’t understand the gesture). If I push my glasses up onto my head they keep riding up and over the dome and fall behind me. Fortunately we’re talking about reading glasses I buy for a buck a pair at the Dollar Tree store in Sanford, Maine, so it’s not like I’m going broke.

I can’t get used to those eyeglass chords or straps, the things you plug into the ends of the ear pieces that let your unworn glasses dangle at your chest. Nope. I’m not old enough for that look (sorry, it’s just a personal preference).

Radiation starts in two weeks and I have to throw away my Degree for Women Shower Clean Body Responsive Antiperspirant and Deodorant in favor of Tom’s of Maine Natural Long-Lasting Deodorant Stick. I hope Tom and I can strike a balance over our 44-day relationship (30 sessions, plus weekends and holidays). If not, I’ll call to you from across the room or send you a note.

Ah, the things I do for my cancer.

2 comments:

Jan G said...

I'd give y'all a big 'ol hug anytime, Uncle Tom or not.........
Love, J

Diane said...

You would look awfully cute in a very fancy Santa Hat.. Tis' the season! Plus theya re warm.....
Diane