Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007 in the rear view mirror


Yesterday was an extraordinarily difficult day. All the cumulative effects of chemotherapy decided Thursday morning, the holiday, would be the perfect time to settle in and try to turn the day into a disaster (click through for a photo).

I spent the morning on the couch, holding on for dear life through waves of nausea and dizzy spells that made me very unsteady on my feet. Dave and PJ hovered nearby offering anything and everything they could think of, but there was nothing to do but wait if out. Of course, they refused to drive to the family gathering in Maine without me (I’d have been very “happy” to take to my and pull the covers over my head). By noon the serious badness seemed to pass and we headed for Route 95.

Thanksgiving isn’t just Thursday with a fancy turkey dinner. It’s about family, friends, and all that wonderful food. When have you know me to turn down food of just about any kind? I did yesterday, in spades. I managed a couple of crackers and pieces on cheese, then “feasted” on a few slices of turkey, tablespoon-sized portions of stuffing, potatoes, and Kelly’s green bean casserole. I passed on the pies (Dutch apple, mince, and pecan), the tarts and raspberry squares, ignored the pickle and olive trays, the leek dip and veggie platter, the bucket of mixed nuts, and all the alcohol. At another point in time I’d have welcomed each as an old friend.


I was absolutely blessed yesterday to be with people I love. Dave and PJ; my mother; brother Ted, his wife Cindy, and my nephews Ted and Tom; sister Kelly and her husband Bill (and later in the day their “girls” Rudy and Duncan). Our gather was complete with Bill’s mother Lillian, his brother David, sister Ann, and Ann’s squeeze Scott. We toasted the important things—our togetherness, my dad, and better days to come. It turned out to be as perfect a day as conditions allowed.

Now it’s Friday morning, and things look brighter on all fronts. I just finished breakfast—a cup of tea and one of Lillian’s raspberry squares.

Now it’s time to cook a turkey of our own. I’ve got a nine-pound breast sitting on the kitchen counter and a date later today with my cousin Peter and his wife Laura, who make a stop here on their way home to Hartford from Manchester, NH. This is our tradition on the day after the holiday.

I hope your holiday was warm and wonderful.

No comments: