Thursday, November 1, 2007

Chemo #3 tomorrow

Coming soon to the Baldwin Park Oncology Center, "Chemo #3." I'm headlining tomorrow's 10:30 a.m. session.

The roller coaster of last weekend is long over and I'm in a very positive frame of mind. I feel good, ready to go tomorrow, get it done, and come home and enjoy the weekend. That's my goal. I know that following the last two sessions I had a couple of really difficult days, and in the back of my mind I've already written next Monday off, but who knows? Maybe it won't be so hard this time. And if it is, then it is.

I hear my father's voice in my head when I think of going into chemo. He was fascinated by the weather, and I preferred to ask him for a forecast than depend on a television talking head (since my dad's death I've become addicted to The Weather Channel, not even a shadow of a replacement, but an adequate fill-in).

I'd ask my father when the rain would stop and he'd give me his prediction. I'd ask, "Are you sure?" and he'd reply, "It always stops."

How right he was. The rain always stops (and it usually did when he said it would).

So dad and the rain are a little like feeling crappy after chemo. The crappy feeling always stops and I feel better again.

Life is good.

No comments: