Friday, November 16, 2007

It’s DONE, DONE, DONE

I’m through with chemotherapy. Today was my last treatment. Part of me wants to climb up on the roof and scream this wonderful news. Part of me wants to sit on the couch and wait for the other shoe to drop.


At every step along the sally, we thought one thing and then learned another.

  • The surgeon “got it all.” No, wait, there was a micro-invasion.


  • The lymph nodes were clear. No, wait, there is a cluster of cancer cells in the first node.


  • You need chemo, but it’s “easy chemo.” It’ll take two weeks and you won’t even lose you hair. Ah, no.

I don’t want to be cautiously optimistic, I want to be balls-to-the-wall excited about this day. It’s a milestone, three down (diagnosis, surgery, chemotherapy), two to go (radiation and drug therapy). I’ve been at what I hope will prove to be the low point. It’s time to climb back on top. It’s time for Dave and PJ to breathe easier and not worry so much about me. It’s time to get back to enjoying life and looking ahead with anticipation.

No comments: