Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wait, let me think... OK, let's!

So, I had my first post-breast cancer mammogram the other day. Wasn't the most fun I've had in a long time, particularly when the tech said, "Come on back with me, I need to take more images." That's not usually a good sign.

Bottom line (cling peaches), there's a cluster of calcification in my left breast and I'm having a stereotactic biopsy on July 9. I'm not freaking out about it, there's no sense. Not yet, anyway.

Over the last year I've become much more involved in my own health care (as I hope you are involved in yours). I ask lots of questions and rarely accept remarks and comments without engaging the speaker in an explanatory conversation.

When we went back into the imaging room I stepped up to the tech's work station and monitor and asked. "So, what are you looking at?" She pointed out the area of interest--a single bright white spot and a small cluster of tiny white dots. She said she wasn't sure which caught the attention of the radiologist who read the first images and said she was going to reimage each. That done, I waited some more. The tech came back and asked questions about my prior treatment (dates and numbers of chemo and radiation sessions, and the name of the drug I'm taking and how long I've been on it).

I saw my surgeon that same day, who seemed almost apologetic when he told me the radiologist was suggesting a biopsy. Did I mind, he asked? Was I sure I didn't mind?

What the $#@&? Do I mind? OF COURSE NOT! He says they probably wouldn't be suggesting this action but for my prior history. Which leads me to wonder--is this going to be the standard for the rest of my life? Biopsy after biopsy chasing possibilities?

If you believe the medical professionals (and I'm leaning that way), I should be good for about five years. Between the chemo and the drugs there should be little chance of a recurrence or new episode. But that's a "should be," not a guarantee.

I know I have options, but frankly, it's all too much to think about right now. Nothing is going to change in the next few weeks. I'll have the biopsy on July 9, get results in a few days, and follow up with the surgeon on the 30th. At that time we'll make decisions (if there are any to be made) or accept congratulations on a clean slate (albeit temporary??) make a date for another routine follow up in six months.

I prefer the later.

Got a spare prayer? Please remember Ted's friend Christian.

{end of post}

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Penny, you are in my thoughts every day. My fingers are crossed.

xo