Saturday, June 21, 2008

Unwanted guest

Insomnia dropped by recently and decided to stay for a few days. Insomnia and I have had a relationship (notice I didn't call it a "friendship") for a while, and now that Aromasin is part of my life, Insomnia shows up more often than she used to.

Aromasin is, I hope, the miracle drug I take daily for five years following breast cancer treatment. It should ward off any chance of recurrence. We'll see, won't we??

Aromasin is good friends with Insomnia and another occasional guest, Joint Pain. Makes me hope all the harder that, in spite of her other relationships, Aromasin will have an overall decent one with me.

Anyway, in an effort to send Insomnia packing, I tried the usual good remedy of an OTC sleeping pill on Thursday night. Usually works like a charm but not this time. I spent Friday with a bad case of the stupids. I was just slightly off center and a half-step behind everything. Classic sleeping pill hangover. And then along came Joint Pain! Oh my! Couldn't lift my arms without my shoulders screaming at me. I figured maybe I could beat it all out of myself with another solid night of sleep.

Last night I contemplated another sleeping pill but didn't need it. I was fighting to stay awake at 9 p.m. and finally decided I could fight it in bed. No fight. Out cold in minutes. Woke briefly a couple of times, and finally decided at 8 a.m. it was time to get up. I probably could have stayed there all day, but if I've learned anything from Insomnia over the years, it's that she respond best to routine. Go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time.

I think some exercise will also help. Long days sitting at a desk in front of a computer don't help matters. So, shortly, I'll be off to the gym. Or maybe I'll just take a good, long walk. We'll see, but it will be one or the other, without fail.

If you see Insomnia, be rude. No matter how much she begs, don't even let her use the bathroom or the phone. She'll find a way to stay. She's just a rotten house guest. Doesn't even bring a hostess gift.
{end of post}

1 comment:

KathyRose said...

Change the sheets (fresh sheets make me sleepy)
Get up early even if you don't want to
Do something outside (exercise-like) during the day, but not later at night
Make a list and keep it by your bed so you can add to it if you start "thinking about things"
Those are some of my insomnia killing techniques.
Oh, and don't watch TV; read a book. Never fails me, I get bleary eyed after 4 pages