Sunday, June 8, 2008

Who's having fun in this awful heat?

If you go back to some post I wrote in the middle of winter, you're sure to find words to the effect that some day when it was hot I'd be wishing for a cold snap. Well, that day is here. It's hot (high 90s) and I hate it.

I told Dave yesterday that these are the days that make me wish I was bald again, and of course he balked. I remember how cold I got without hair. I wonder if I'd be cooler without it. I wonder if I'd remember to put sun block on the top of my head.

And then there's the price of gas, sitting at pennies under $4 a gallon. I don't think it's put a true crimp in our habits just get, but the day is coming quickly. My mother has moved to the farm in Nobleboro, Maine, for the summer and of course I want to get into the car and drive up. But gas prices are making me think long and hard about it, and that makes me angry--to think that my life style and desires are being governed by oil prices. And when I get boiled up about it I get mad at myself for being selfish, when there are people without jobs, suffering without health insurance, and on and on. And then I get selfish again and WANT to feel sorry for myself about it. Silly, I know, but it's real.

We hired a marketing manager at work (I think I mentioned that earlier). She drives down every day from Rochester NH, and claims she hasn't looked at the mileage and isn't thinking about the additional costs. That's got to be a 70 or 80 miles trip one way... crazy distance.

The farm is about a 160 mile drive. Double that and drive around a bit and let's say a weekend trip is 400 miles. At 20 miles to the gallon (I have NO CLUE what my car gets), that's 20 gallons. At $4 a gallon it's an $80 trip.

Is a weekend at the farm worth $80? Honestly? Yes. Cheaper than going back to Switzerland. I'll have to take a Monday off and go. Soon.

PJ called us last night, she's in Ft. Lauderdale after having done a day and night in Miami Beach. I pointed her to the Delano Hotel, and apparently they not only found it but had themselves a party until the small hours of the morning. I wonder if it ever crossed her mind that her mother must be pretty damn cool to know of a place like that. Possible but probably not.

{end of post}

2 comments:

Jan G said...

I remember when PJ ran around the newsroom showing us the pictures she had colored...Time is passing so quickly. Mine turned 30 in January. Ouch.
Stay cool.
Love, J

KathyRose said...

I'm pretty sure PJ knows she has the coolest Mom, florida notwithstanding. Even here in Massachusetts you have the best ideas. What I love about daughters is that no matter how uncool they think you are when they are teenagers, they grow out of it and realize you were always the best thing goin'. At least that's what I hear! I'm counting on that, I expect Abby will "turn" any day from Jekyll to Hyde.