Friday, December 21, 2007

Radiation photos

As promised, finally, here are some pics of the radiation machine.


I’m not quite sure how to describe everything (what, me at a loss for words? HA!) That round section that’s above the table—the radiation beam is delivered from the section. Now look at the second picture.



This shows you the underside of that round section, what I see when I look up at it. See the two rows of thin grey bars that meet in the middle? They’re like two bar graphs, and those individual thin bars separate to make specifically-shaped images so the radiation beam can be targeted to deliver the good exactly where they need to go,

In this shot, the image “hole” looks a little like an anvil (yes it does…!) Another of my images looks like the state of Vermont, and a third one looks like a sea horse. Hey, when you’re on your back getting radiated, your mind goes to strange places!



That round head rotates around the table to deliver from a variety of angles (the third picture shows the machine rotated 90+ degrees to one side. I get hit with seven different blasts from three different directions: one straight down with the head directly above me; from the left at about the number 10 on the clock, and from far down on my right (I can’t see how far down because I have my head turned to the left). Those left and right shots are more targeted to the area where the cancer was found; the overhead hit delivers to the entire breast.

This third pic also shows the table without the drape. My upper body is elevated slightly and my arms and hands are extended over my head and rest in the supports. It’s a very comfortable process and is over in less than 10 minutes.

Any questions????

4 comments:

Jan G said...

I'm glad this is kinder to your body than the Chemo. Hope Santa is good to you. Enjoy.
J

Penny said...

Hey JG... so far so good. I've only had 8 treatments (33 are planned). My friend Tanya is two weeks ahead of me and she's pretty miserable with skin irritation and exhaustion, so I'm not sure what/how much to anticipate. Heard from Santa... he's puzzling over stocking stuffers (since I don't "need" any hair or nail care products...)

Jan G said...

Your nails too?

Penny said...

See the 12/20 post titled "The color purple."