Tuesday, December 11, 2007

One down....


... 29 to go! Radiation for real was rather uneventful. Just like simulation, only when the "BEAM ON" light it lit you know it means business.

My course involves nine blasts (one long, one short, machine is repositioned; one long, two short, machine repositioned; two more cycles of one long and one short with a repositioning in between). Duration of the blasts is about eight to 10 seconds for the long, 2 seconds for the short. I think. I'll count tomorrow.

I'll bring the camera tomorrow too and shoot some pics so you can see the machine. It's a little hard to explain how it all happens.

Good skin care is important during radiation. I've already told you I have to use an all natural deodorant. I can't use powders (cornstarch only). I have two different products the radiology teams suggests I use every few hours to keep my skin in good condition. One is Aquaphor (a thick ointment for dry or irritated skin), the other is a burn cream. I've been using the Aquaphor for a few weeks to get my skin ready for the assault. I'll start with the burn cream tonight.

I have to wash everything off four hours before the radiation treatment and go to the treatment "clean." Presently my appointment is at 4 p.m., which means I need to be cleaned up at noon (that includes washing off deodorant).

I asked today if there's a chance I can move my appointment to early morning, and there is an opening at 8:40 a.m. starting on January 3. It makes sense to change to that time as soon as possible because it gives me more time during the day to use products to help protect my skin and help it heal. They say it will be a few weeks before I notice any real symptoms of redness and "sunburn."

So, like I said, pretty unremarkable. The facility is warm and inviting, the staff is friendly and caring. If you have to go through this, it's a great place to be.

Photos to come.

No comments: