Thursday, December 20, 2007

The color purple

Stuff they don't tell you about chemotherapy: my purple finger and toenail beds are an indication of dead nails. I can look forward to them peeling and eventually falling away. What fun!

I wondered throughout chemo treatment why my nails continued to be so strong and to grow. Chemo, after all, targets fast-growing cells (cancel cells--we hope, and hair) and I assumed nails would be among the fast-growing population.

They are, but from the point of growth (duh!), which is why it is only in the last few weeks that I've noticed the purple tint to a few nail beds. Now I know the reason.

I'm told to be patient, it will take a few months for the cycle to complete itself. It could be worse, right??

Radiation photos are coming, really. Maybe later tonight.

No comments: