Thursday, March 6, 2008

My latest trick: Invisibility

I went, among many other places, to the bank today and arrived a few minutes before they opened. It's a branch inside a supermarket, so I stood just off to the side of the "pretend you're in line at Disney World" maroon velvet ropes. I figured it was more polite to stand just a little off to the side, rather than have the bank tellers think I was getting ready to pounce.

The overhead lights weren't on, it seemed pretty clear that they weren't open for business yet. Or so I thought. After all, I was standing there in the middle of the floor doing nothing but waiting.

Not one, but two people walked AROUND me and up to the counter.

Teller: "We're not open yet."
Idiot #1: "Why?"
Teller: "It's not 10:00 yet."

A moment later:
Teller: "We're not open yet."
Idiot #2: "Ahhhh...., what?"
Teller: "It's not 10:00 yet."

Finally, with #2 impatiently waiting at the counter, someone flipped on the lights. The teller looked at me and said, "Good morning, can I help you?"

Good thing he did. I was loaded for bear.

I stepped up to the counter, locked eyes with Idiot #2 (who was clearly ticked that I was being served first) and said, "Thank you! I thought standing to the side while waiting for you to open was more polite than barging up to the counter before you turned on the lights. Funny, in doing so I apparently became invisible. Thanks for noticing that I was here first."

{deep sigh}

1 comment:

Jan G said...

It sounds like Your Baaaaaaaaacccccccckkkk!, besides patience is a virtue.
J