Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Turning the corner


Tried to go to work yesterday (third day after treatment #2). Got a few miles from home and had to turn back. It was another pretty miserable day, but I keep reminding myself--it could be worse.

I motored between the computer (to manage office business) and the couch and had to force food and fluids. I managed an English muffin for breakfast, an apple for lunch, a banana at mid-afternoon, and then a package of Ramen Noodles for dinner. I know, I know, sodium overload and bad-bad-bad for my body in every way, but it was about the only thing I could entertain keeping in my stomach.

Today started slowly; I made it to the office and planned to give it half the day. But by lunch time I'd managed to eat half a banana--and in no time felt remarkably better. I lasted until 4 p.m. (thanks to the second half of the banana... must be my miracle food).

Dave and I kept our traditional Tuesday Night Date Night. There was only one thing I wanted, and he found it for me--a cheese omelet with toast at a not-so-fancy-but-wonderful place in Wakefield. I'm such a cheap date.

I think I've turned the corner. If this time goes as the last, I should be on the upswing again. Appetite has a way to go, but at least the constant low-grade nausea is gone.

This whole experience gives me daily reminders to take a moment and give thanks for things large and small.

I receive regular greetings and blessings from my many friends at the Wilmington United Methodist Church, and each one lifts my spirits. Thank you, dear friends.

I receive lovely gifts from friends (including pocket planets, a "Born to be Wild!" t-shirt, a painted and decorated sea shell, river rocks, a small religious statue, scarves and hats, too many to mention them all). Thank you for thinking of me in these ways.

I receive e-mails and messages to these posts, and thank each of you for taking the time to reply.

All of these things mean the world to me, and remind me how important our personal connections are--not just to surviving, but thriving, no matter what obstacles try to block the path.

And Dave and PJ continue to be amazing at every moment. Some one of these days this will behind us... I'm counting the days until we can celebrate like we need to.

No comments: