Thursday, July 10, 2008

I am invisible

(Stand by, I'm in a mood...)

Invisible! I must be! What other explanation is there as to why on two occasions, and within moments, people stepped in front of me as I waited my turn at Wal-mart earlier this evening?

First at the photo counter. A chick in a little black dress (and huge earrings that had to be cubic zirconia) waltzed around me to stand next in line to pick up photos. She opened her wallet and started digging through receipts and before offered assistance, announced she was there to pick up her photos. Duh. When I lifted my arms as if to say "Huh?" to the clerk, the clerk asked if she could assist me. The chick in the black dress looked over her shoulder and gave me the "Who the f%$# are YOU looking at?" look. I got my photos, politely thanked the nice clerk for first taking care of the person who really was next in line, and went on my way.

Off to the hair accessory aisle to swap something I'd grabbed earlier for something else. There was someone looking through the accessories while blocking the display with her shopping cart. As I waited for her to move, a woman and her daughter blew in, moved the carriage, and proceeded to paw through the merchandise. I was a split second from putting my hand on the woman's shoulder and asking her to wait her turn when I recognized her. She attends my church. Part of me isn't surprised by her rude boldness. She does it well. I hope she reads this.

She and her daughter stood blocking the displays while they debated which item to buy. I finally reached over her head to put back the item I was holding and didn't bother to hang around to find what I wanted. I had all I could to to ignore her husband who stood waiting at the head of the aisle (and looking a tad ignored himself, come to think about it). If I'd spoken it wouldn't have been to say anything polite.

Which leads me to ask myself why I let people who clearly have little to offer by way of gracious behavior (a) treat me that way or (b) push me into such a state of frenzy. None of the irritation is worth the points it scored on my blood pressure reading.

What's better, speaking up when someone is rude, or standing back and allowing them to continue their selfish ways, and worse, instill in their children that it's OK to treat others with so little regard?

There, I feel better already.

{end of post}

No comments: