Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hot and steamy, and I don't mean me

OMG, it's SO hot and humid and awful outside. How do people live in the tropics? I'd do nothing but be crabby all day.

I'd like to design my own place to live. Put everything I want around me on a huge sliding plate--family and friends, Market Basket and Lucci's, a New Hampshire state liquor store, the gym, the office--(you get the idea), then dial up a new location based on temperature and weather conditions and slide everything around. Need some rain for the plants and grass? Dial it up. Need enough snow to close the office for a day? Return to mid-70's and no humidity the next. Cool enough every evening to sleep under a blanket with the windows open.

Maybe in my next life.

I'm rediscovering the joy of reading books. Sounds crazy, doesn't it? I haven't found time (made time) to read for pleasure in a very long time. It's a personal treat I seem only to provide myself when I'm on vacation in Maine. I'm changing that.

I used to spend my commute to and from work listening to books on tape or CD. I have a list in my wallet that must have 200 titles on it (in 8-point type) of the books and authors I've enjoyed over the years. It would frustrate me to find an author I like and get the same title again and again because I'd forget which books I'd listened to. Hence the list.

I started commuting to the office with a coworker a few months ago (and in May, Dave came to work for my company too), so my on-the-road-to-work listening time went away with $3 gas. I miss my time with Sanford, the Pattersons, Grisham, Woods, and friends.

So, I'm back to reading. It means carving "me" time out of the day, which isn't always easy to do. Dave helped me put a book on CD through the computer and into iPod files recently, I got to enjoy it while on the treadmill at the gym. That's always a possibility.

Today is biopsy day. Just can't wait to get this over with, hear the news and move along. Has to be negative, right?

Please share some love and prayers today with Jan's nephew Matthew.

No comments: