Saturday, February 16, 2008

Saturday morning musings


So, I've got this absolutely miserable cold, my sinuses are clogged beyond recognition and my chest is layered with what feels like cement. In short, it's not fun, but I'm not complaining because--it's better than having chemotherapy!

I miss reading a daily newspaper by hand. I scan the headlines of four or five major newspapers each day online, but there's nothing like sitting down with the paper, going through it page by page, and--best of all--having to get up when you're done and wash the ink off your hands. I am my father's child.

I got a very nice surprise yesterday. My company was sold earlier this week (it's all good, from one financial holding company to another, nothing changes that I will see). Part of the sale included offering bonuses to employees whose term of service meets certain criteria. I'm spending part of my bonus on a plane ticket to Switzerland. My friend Laura moved there a few years ago to be with her beloved Monica, and they've extended countless invitations for me to come and visit. The timing was never right.

If I learned only one lesson from my breast cancer experience, it's that the timing is rarely right for whatever it is that you need or want to do. My advice isn't that you develop a frivolous attitude, but that you take advantage of opportunities that present themselves or take steps to make opportunities happen. Sometimes you need to be brave and have enough confidence in yourself to take a chance. It may be something as simple as telling someone that you love them, or thanking someone for their kindness. Don't be sorry you didn't make an effort.

So, I'm ticket shopping. I'm not bound to specific dates--I'm hoping for sometime in April or May. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

LUCKY!

I hope you fel better soon!

Do you think they have IKEA in Switzerland?