Sunday, February 10, 2008

My weekend hours in front of the tube

I spent the better part of today absolutely spellbound by several episodes of the HBO mini-series “Band of Brothers,” which played this weekend on The History Channel. If you’ve never seen it, I can’t urge strongly enough that you search it out. Rent it if you have to.

It’s the 10-part Tom Hanks-Steven Spielberg series about “E” Company of the 506th infantry regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, from their days in basic training to Normandy and beyond until the end of World War II. As I watched I thought of men I’ve met who fought in World War II, like Leo Grillo and Ernie Doucette, and how they, years younger than my daughter is now, fought to liberate Europe.
I wrote a 13-part series about World War II veterans back in my days as a reporter with the Eagle Tribune (in fact it won a New England Press Association award in 2000 for history reporting). I was so proud of that series because of the amazing people that writing it allowed me to have the honor to meet. I learned more from the 12 men and one woman I interviewed than I even learned in a history class or from reading a book.
In many cases, they had not told their personal stories to their families. Again and again, as we talked about their experiences, family members present during the interview said things like, "You never told me that," or, "I had no idea..."
Are you lucky enough to know someone who served during World War II (or another war or conflict)? Ask about their service. Plan a trip to Washington D.C. and visit the World War II memorial. It will take your breath away and there's no doubt you'll meet someone there who served.
OK, off the soap box. But seriously, when you can, thank a veteran. And rent "Band of Brothers."

No comments: