Sunday, February 24, 2008

Feeling the love

I am filled with "feeling the love" this afternoon. I was the worship leader this morning at church (Wilmington United Methodist) and back in the company of people who drove a whole lot of love and prayers in my direction when I was on the D.L.

I admit that my relationship with the good folks at WUMC can best be described as "occasionally in attendance but always in a corner of my heart." That usually happens when I get a periodic call asking if I'd like to be worship leader. Admitting again, it's something I enjoy doing.

Going to church usually fills me up with a good feeling and I drive home thinking that, since it feels so good, I should go more often. Then the next Sunday rolls around and there's something on the docket that calls me in another direction (next Sunday is already flagged for breakfast with B.C. sistas).

It's about deciding what is really important and making a commitment. I don't think that making an occasional commitment to something is a bad thing. Some might say it's better than making no commitment at all. I go through phases where I want to do something noble like save the world from itself, and then realize that there is something in the bottom of the hamper that I pass over every time I do a load of laundry. I have tons of good intentions and a long way to go to improve on my follow up.

So what does all this mean? Who really knows. Take from it what you will. What I'm taking from it is that I need to pay it forward. I've been the recipient of uncountable prayers and kindnesses. Someone told me this morning that she passed my name and situation on to her family who live in Washington and that I was on their church's prayer list throughout my illness. I remember how good I felt every time I opened the mailbox and found yet another card from one of the good people of WUMC, sending a simple message of hope and love.

Someone in your circle of acquaintances needs a word of encouragement. The reason isn't important, but what is important is how to react to their need. Make a phone call. Send a card. If you are so inclined, of means, or so talented, offer them a ride or a casserole. You don't have to assume responsibility for every aspect of their well-being. You only need to show them the kindness and friendship you'd like them to show to you.

The other news of the day is that it's my dad's birthday. He'd be 78 today. Ironic, perhaps, that this morning's opening hymn was "Amazing Grace?" I don't think it was a coincidence. All that was missing was a bagpiper.



No comments: