Monday, August 6, 2007

Waiting


I’m in waiting mode again, this time it’s waiting to go to the hospital for surgery. For some reason I’m focusing on what I need to bring with me. They say I should not bring any personal items but it’s not possible to leave everything behind.

First there’s my wedding ring. I’m not going without it. Last time they made me take it off and I gave it to Dave to hold. Maybe this time I’ll pretend I can’t get it off my finger and I’ll ask them to tape it onto my hand.

Then there is a pair of reading glasses. You might recall the six-hour delay the last time I was scheduled for surgery. I can’t possibly read the weeks-old editions of magazines I’d never pick up with the first place (“Golf Digest” seems a popular waiting room staple along with standard “Prevention’).

And of course, I’ll need my insurance card. They have all my information in the computer but someone will insist on seeing it any way. I shouldn’t fuss at this; I make a career in healthcare publishing and I know the challenges providers face getting paid what they deserve. My card will make it a little easier for them, and hopefully for me as well.

Wait… I’ve got a bill here for $2,298 for the July 3 MRI. Seems my insurance company is denying coverage.

Ah, something to distract me until it’s time to leave.

No comments: