Saturday, August 18, 2007

Pearls of Wisdom


I don’t really have any. I went back to work this week, and the days crawled by. People kept telling me that I didn’t looked like I’d had such a significant surgery. That’s the beauty (or curse) of breast surgery—no one can see the bandages or the scars.

It’s taking more time than I thought it would to feel better. This time around it’s a different kind of recovery process. The last time the incision was small but there was a lot of bruising. This time there are two incisions (one 2 ¾” long, the other is covered by gauze padding and I can’t see it, which is probably a good thing). There is more need to protect from further injury this time.

Over the last 48 hours I’ve had a lot of sudden and sharp pains throughout my breast. Some of those pains take the breath out of me for a moment. I’m told this is normal following a surgery, it’s reaction of nerves that were cut.

I haven’t had any luck shopping for a new fleet of bras. I’m trying to get through this phase with current inventory. Part of the problem is the way the cup of a bra is cut. Because of the incision made to take lymph nodes, I need a more generous cup on the side up and toward the underarm. The bras I currently own (except the two I can wear) fall across that incision and are impossible to wear unless I stand perfectly still. And that’s not an option!

So, on we go, waiting for my August 22 appointment with Dr. Nath. Until then it’s one day at a time. Thanks for hanging in with me.


No comments: