Friday, August 10, 2007

Now what?


For the first time in 50 days (since my DCIS diagnosis), we’re in “cancer free” thinking mode. Even so, I am one of those who believe that it’s never really gone. I don’t think that’s being a pessimist, it’s being a realist.

But what the hell, let’s go with the assumption that it’s gone.

Someone asked, “What’s next?” I’ll spend the next few weeks healing. (If you don’t want to know the details of scars and incision sizes, stop reading and go to the bottom of the page under the ############ line.)

I can’t see the incision from the lumpectomy surgery. It’s hidden under a piece of gauze that measures 1 ½ inches by 4 ¼ inches that runs along the right side of my breast (as I look down at it). The nipple and areola are covered and I assume the areola is cut. In the last surgery he cut around the areola.

Dr. Nath talked to Dave and me in the pre-op area on Monday. Dr. Nath indicated he’d make a crescent-shaped incision and go in, then finish by drawing the two sides together and stitching it closed. Makes sense, as he said he took a lot of tissue. As he talked he drew on my breast with a pen and Dave’s expression when from “hhhhmmmm, interesting...” to mild horror. I couldn’t see what he was drawing (being prone), it was more for Dave’s benefit than mine.

But I clearly remember thinking, “I hope you’re going to wash that off before you cut me. The ink can’t be healthy in an open wound…”

The second incision (for the lymph node removal) is about 2 ¾ long and on the back edge of my breast (10:00 as you look at me). It’s not quite under the arm; I could shave my underarm and wear deodorant without affecting the bandaging. I can see this incision under layers of steri-strips.

Both wounds are covered by a see-through bandage; it’s like sticky Saran wrap, so I can shower without getting the wounds wet. All of the bandaging will remain in place until Dr. Nath removes it.

###################

(Welcome back!)

I see Dr. Nath on August 22, at which time he’ll have final pathology reports, check my bandages and perhaps remove them, depending on how the healing goes. Last time the bandaging remained in place for about a month and since this round was more extensive it will probably be at least that long (or he’ll remove, examine, and re-bandage).

Next stop on the DCIS Sally is Radiation, which will begin in about six weeks (Dr. Nath’s call).

So that’s where we stand. Won’t be much to report until the 22nd. Hang in with me, I’ll keep you in the loop.

Thanks for the cards, the calls, and the prayers. I have two beautiful bouquets of flowers and a basket of the most amazing cookies. I’d invite you to come by for one but I’m not sure there will be any left by the time you get here!



No comments: