Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The “C” Word


That’s “C” for chemotherapy.

Preliminary tests from the August 6 surgery showed no evidence of DCIS in the tissue taken, and showed the two lymph nodes to be negative. However, new technology allows an additional series of tests on the nodes, and one showed a tiny cluster of tumor cells. The best course of action is to order up a short cycle of chemotherapy (perhaps 2 to 3 weeks in length), called “adjuvant” chemo. So that’s what we’re going to do.

(I love it when my doc says “we.” It’s “me” this is happening to, not “we.” It’s all about me.)

Adjuvant chemo is given to fight the RISK of a future cancer, not to fight existing disease. The assumption is that the cancer in my breast is gone (proven by two rounds of excisions with clear margins each time.

Adjuvant chemo isn’t like the chemo given to people who are actively fighting cancer, trying to shrink known tumors, trying to survive their cancer. Dr. Nath says adjuvant chemo isn’t a “throwing-up-losing-your-hair” kind of treatment (we’ll see, won’t we…?)

Remember that microinvasion discovered during the first surgery? Because of it, Dr. Nath wanted to do the sentinel node biopsy during the August 6 surgery (and I’m so glad he did). Initial reports were negative (which he reported to me in the days after surgery), but that new technology proved otherwise.

Five years ago this would not have been found. Even today, without the sentinel node biopsy, it wouldn’t have been found. Who knows what it might have turned into down the road? Maybe nothing. Maybe something.

The assumption is that with the radiation and drug therapy already planned, this would not have survived to grow into something terrible. But why take the chance? Enter adjuvant chemo. The current plan is to do radiation as planned, then chemo, then the planned drug therapy.

Dr. Nath likens it to finding a dandelion in the yard. You pull it out, root and all, and then throw down some dandelion killer on the grass. You don’t get any more dandelions.

But why not? Maybe pulling out the weed, root and all, solved the problem. But you can’t be sure. Maybe throwing down the weed killer did the trick. My adjuvant chemo will be my weed killer.

So that’s where it all stands at the moment. I see Dr. Nath in a month, and before that time I need to see both the radiologist and oncologist again.

My sister-in-law is a mammography technologist with 25+ years in the field. When I called her tonight she admitted she’s pleased I’m going to have a course of chemo. She reasons that I’m young and that my medical team should throw everything they can at this and reduce all of the risks. Hearing her say that makes even more sense of everything Dr. Nath said today.

We have a plan, but plans change. I’m learning to be better about being flexible. Plus there’s more waiting. I’m getting good at it.

Once again, thanks for hanging in. If you have a question, post a comment and I’ll be able to reply. If you know someone in a similar struggle, send them the blog or give me their name, I’ll be happy to call and be a hand-holder. I have all of you doing that for me, it’s a small way to pass along the love and support.



No comments: