Monday, September 3, 2007

Stepped out of my life for a while

Dave and I are just back from a wonderful weekend in Newport, RI, with our friends Chuck and Gail Holloran. We walked around the mansions and along a portion of the Cliff Walk, did a lot of window shopping and people watching, enjoyed wonderful food and beverages in a couple of great restaurants, and enjoyed two wonderful nights at the Marriott on Americas Cup Avenue.

It was a wonderful to escape for a few days. Now it’s back to business and life as we know it.

There isn’t much happening. We’re in “waiting” mode and have been for a little while. I have an appointment tomorrow with the oncologist and hope to walk away with a better understanding of what the addition of chemo to my treatment regiment will do for me.

I have plenty of questions, among them:
  • How is it delivered, by IV or pill?
  • How often?
  • How long will each dose take to deliver?
  • What can I expect for side effects?
  • How will my oncology team measure its effect?
  • What kind of follow up will this require?
  • Why do I have to wait to start chemo until after radiation?
As to the bad node, which one was it? The first or second in line? What are the chances the tumor cells have traveled further? If the second and there is a chance of additional movement, is a “short course, 2-3 week” chemo session sufficient to do the job intended?

It seems as if I am losing treatment opportunities while waiting for the September 26 appointment with Dr. Nath. I understand that it’s important for the surgical site to heal properly, but still, it’s there something else I can be doing?

More when I know more tomorrow.

No comments: