Sunday, July 1, 2007

Life is good and I'm lucky as hell


There is no reason to complain. For the moment, as the t-shirt says, life is good. Good friends, good job, good times. I have only few “needs.” I have a long list of wants (don’t we all?)

On the “need” list are:
• a healthy outcome
• optimum health and happiness for everyone else

How idealistic, eh?

On the “want” list are:
• to get started and have it be done
• a housekeeper
• someplace to go with my new passport
• to visit my re-found friend Jan from South Carolina (we’re already talking about Washington DC next spring)

That’s just a few things. It’s interesting how the “want” list has changed over the last few months. I’m sure it will change again, many times. It has to, doesn’t it? Wanting is part of what makes you move forward through the day. I know someone who seems to look forward to nothing, who seems to expect little more than to be disappointed by life. It’s pretty sad. I couldn’t live that way.

So, for now, life is good. Tuesday is MRI day followed by a meeting with my oncologist.

Wow, I have an oncologist. That's scary. I remember another ramble, 12 year ago, in which I wrote that I had (among other things) five selectmen, an auto mechanic, a letter carrier, hair dresser, boss, and so on. Now I have a surgeon, an oncologist, and a radiologist. Great people to know, I'm sure, but in the grand scheme of things and quite selfishly, people I'll wish other people "had."

These are the kinds of ah-ha moments that remind me of how lucky I am. Lucky to have breast cancer? No way--and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Instead, lucky to be living in an age where technology finds these things early. Lucky to have a job and good health insurance that allows me to have and make choices. Lucky to work with a terrific group of people who are respectful of the situation and supportive to share their time and talent to make sure the work will be done right and done on time. Lucky to have so many friends who care about me and my family. Luckiest most of all to have Dave and PJ on sally with me.

Hey, I’ll keep you in the loop. Go play in the sunshine.

No comments: