Wednesday, July 25, 2007

35 days and counting


It's been 35 days since I got the news that my biopsy showed DCIS. And these have been extraordinary days, no question.

I've learned quite a lot about people in the last few weeks. Some surprised me, not with the fact that they wish me well, but with the depth of their feelings and demonstrations of care. I've been surprised by hugs, warmed by cards and messages, and showered with promises of prayers.

One person chose to tell me cancer "war stories" and I told that I just don't have time in my life for her negativity. I was proud of my reaction; I've wanted to say that for a long time and never had the courage to--I feared--hurt her feelings. This seemed like a good time, and I felt the weight leaving my shoulders.

I'm far from perfect. There are plenty of things about myself that could use change, but I'd like to think I'm basically kind and considerate of others. You reinforce those impressions with the kindness you're extending. I find myself thinking of and paraphrasing another Sally: "You like me! You really like me!" (Sally Field, 1984 Academy Awards presentation, Best Actress)

There may not be much to report until we get closer to August 6. There is still a very long way to go and there will be a lot to say and share. Thanks for coming along on the ride.

No comments: