Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Better Than Yesterday


Yesterday was the pits. Could you tell? I can’t go into everything just yet. When I can, I will. In the mean time, let’s talk about me. Hey, it’s my blog.

Saw Dr. Nath today but not until I’d had seven (count ‘em, 1-2-3-4-5-6-7) mammogram films taken. Holy &^%$#in’ crap, it hurt like never before. Turns out my team needs a series of new baseline mammogram views. Shots of what I look like without that bad pocket of junk in my breast. Had someone taken two minutes to explain what and why they were doing these I wouldn’t have been half as upset.

Bottom line, we’re on track as previously discussed. More surgery, radiation, drug therapy for five years. Still a wide outside chance we’ll need to talk about mastectomy or chemotherapy, but those are real long shots and I’m not going to worry about either.

(If I have chemo, I’m cutting my hair short and letting the grey grow in. Even though I’m worth it, I’ll happily sever my relationship with the good folks from L’Oreal.)

(I’m smart… those baseline mammograms taken today will be null and void following the next surgery. We’ll have to baseline again, and I’ll be hurting again, and fussing at you again about how awful it was. I’m warning you now).

So what’s next, you ask? A meeting on Monday (7/16) with my radiologist, Dr. Richards Heidbreder. I’ve already made a list of questions and will probably come up with a few more between now and then. Then surgery. I’ll have a date in the next day or two.

I actually found a three-ring binder and am keeping copies of all of the paperwork associated with this sally, things like appointment slips, test and biopsy results, and the like. There’s a notebook tucked inside, where Dave and PJ can add their queries to my list of questions. That way, no one’s concerns are forgotten when it comes time to sit down with the medical types.

Speaking of sally, my coworker Bryan and his wife Jamie found a small statue of Sally of “Charlie Brown” fame (she’s Charlie Brown’s little sister). She’s wearing a warm smile and has outstretched arms, as if she’s ready to gather me into a hug. She’s my little mascot as I write, camped right here by my keyboard.



Thank you, Bryan and Jamie, I love her!

1 comment:

Diane said...

You won't believe how free you will feel afer you sever your relatinship with L'oreal!! I am actually growing fond of the grey.. aalmost as good as wearing white pants my dear friend!!
Diane