Saturday, October 31, 2009

A new me!

I'm looking and feeling different today. I have a breast form for my bra. It fills me up enough that I don't look lopsided any more.

Funny thing is, I didn't think I needed the help. Like so many other aspects of my disease, treatment, and recovery, getting a little help in the image department didn't seem important. This is what it is and I am what I've become. So what if the right side lags behind the left in size? I'm still me, right?

I thought so, and I thought everything was good the way it was.

At my last visit with my surgeon, I joked with him that he ruined me for bra shopping. "Do you have any idea how hard it is to buy a bra that fits?" I asked in a mock accusing tone. He pulled out his prescription pad and wrote me a script for 5 mastectomy bras, all the while apologizing for not having done so sooner.

"You're entitled to one of these every year," he said.

Earlier this week, the Pretty Girl and I went to Lady Grace in Danvers and spent an hour with a wonderful woman named Suzanne. She measured me for a bra to fit my left (full) breast, disappeared, and came back with a form to fill the gap on the right.

It's pure magic. Fits perfectly. Makes me even. Makes me very happy! The form is made of silicone, feels like real skin, and has a built in nipple. It comes with a two-year warranty. Pretty damn cool.

Turns out that everything wasn't fine. I wasn't fine with my appearance, and in a way that bothers the hell out of me. There's this sense that--to hell with you and yours if I'm not good enough the way I am.

But I'm also growing wiser as I age and live with breast cancer as a part of my life (granted now it is in the past, but it's still part of what I've become). The wise side of me is trying to understand and accept that it's OK to be humbled by all of this, and it's OK not to be a rock all the time. Not that I'm weak, far from that, but it's OK to let it overwhelm me now and again.

That's what happened this week. Once again the breast cancer became something to deal with, not hide from. I let it take front stage and be the point of discussion. And this time I got to walk away from it feeling better about myself and the way I look.

A win-win.

No comments: