Saturday, October 17, 2009

The book is a hit!

I've had amazing feedback on the book. The comments that mean the most to me came from my mother, who never read my blog. She just couldn't bring herself to face it and I never pushed or asked her why. I figured she'd get into it when the moment was right. I guess being healthy and publishing the story brought her to that moment.

She said she particularly liked my use of humor. I know I laughed out loud a couple of times when I read it. I've always hid behind humor and used it to defuse tension. Perhaps it wasn't always appropriate, but I am what I am.

My cousin Melissa is taking part in a breast cancer walk tomorrow (Sunday, Oct 18) in Manchester NH. She's been participating in this event for 25 years and in honor of her mother, Natalie, who died in 1985. That's the aunt I refer to along the way when I talk about my family history (my aunt Nat and her mother, my grandmother, Ruth).

Melissa called the other day and asked for as many copies of the book as I had to give her. She's taking them to the walk tomorrow. We'll see whether it sparks any more sales.

It fills my heart to know that the book is touching people, whether they've faced this themselves or love someone else who has gone through it. Every story reminds me of my good fortune to have gone through it and come to the other side in good health.

(On a side note, I heard a radiation therapy professional refer to patients "cured" through therapy. I'm not sure I'll ever believe that the words "cancer" and "cure" can fit it the same sentence. I'll hope, however, that it really happens--and happens soon.)

I'm having breakfast tomorrow with Tanya and Debbie, my Sistas. We're overdue to be together. I'll post a photo.


No comments: