Monday, September 21, 2009

Another extraordinary woman

I met someone special yesterday, a beautiful baby girl named Grace.

She was baptized at church yesterday and our minister invited me to “receive” her on behalf of the congregation. When he concluded the ceremony he walked up the center aisle with Grace, stopping along the way to show her to the congregation. I was standing at the back of the sanctuary at the top of the aisle and he handed her to me. I walked back down the aisle with Grace and the minister, then stood with her family while the minister said another prayer. Then he turned to me and said, “OK, you have to giver her back now.”

Laughter. Wonderful laughter.

Every child is special. But this one is a little more so, I dare say. Her mother, Laurie, has been diagnosed with Ewings sarcoma and is putting up the fight of her life. She should be enjoying motherhood. Instead she’s having chemo, and lots of it. She says she feels good but she’s tired. I’m not surprised.

She wrote last night and thanked me for taking part in the service. She says she reads my blog and look up to me and admires my strength. She closes her signature with a quote from the blog:

"This isn’t easy. Not one bit. But we make it through because we are strong and we’re so worth the fight."

It’s not easy. For some it’s harder than it is for others. You know how I feel about my fight. Laurie’s, I imagine, is harder than I ever thought mine might ever be. I hope Laurie will be a lucky fighter, like I was. Like I am.

So this morning I’m thinking about Laurie and Grace. When she’s older Grace will be very proud of her mother. Right now they just deserve to have time to be together like all mothers and daughter should have. Time to do everything or nothing at all, whatever the spirit wants the day to be. Carefree and in the moments. Without chemo, drugs, doctor, worry and dread.

{end of post}

No comments: