Monday, August 18, 2008

"If Jesus had a wallet..."

"If Jesus had a wallet, your picture would be in it." That was the message I got, in a round about kind of way, in an email yesterday from my sister. I thought she was paying me a supreme compliment. Instead I find out the statement was written on a sign outside a church in Maine and it has become the new cute phrase of praise.

So my friend Susan got bad news on her biopsy done Friday. She's headed to chemotherapy and radiation--again. She had ovarian cancer in 2006 and damned if the cancer hasn't sprouted in a new location to create havoc and heartache. It just plain sucks, hugely so, and my heart breaks for her. I told her to keep me posted on her chemo treatment days and said I'd go with her. I'll crack jokes, tell bad stories, and do my best to make a miserable experience a percent or two easier to bear. Maybe.

That's about it. What else might Jesus have carried in his wallet? A condom? Library card?

Oh, one more thing. Christina Applegate, who recently announced that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer, has undergone treatment and today said she is 100% cancer clear. I heard the same thing myself last June... and it wasn't quite true. I just don't believe you're ever really free.



{end of post}

No comments: