Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Dad

My dad died 14 years ago today and, as chance would have it, at just about this time of day.

I've missed him terribly through the years. He missed a lot of wonderful moments in our lives (the adventures, the accomplishments, watching his granddaughter grow into a beautiful young woman) and missed some moments that I'm frankly glad to know he wasn't around to witness (my breast cancer is the first thing that comes to mind).

Whatever. Good moments or bad, we can't have him back.

One of the hardest things about losing him was that point in time when it became normal that he was no longer here. That moment was a shock and it hurt almost as much as losing him.

So, I'm thinking about him today, as I do most days. I still miss him and I'd have liked nothing more today than to have laughed with him over something. I'll just go ahead an laugh and pretend he's laughing with me.

Here's a photo of me and my dad, taken in about 1990 at the farm in Nobleboro, ME. It's one of my very favorites because of the look on his face. That look told me that he loved me and it was enough for me just to see it.


{end of post}

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Love the picture of you and your dad! If knowing you is any indication of how wonderful your father was, then I have to say he must have been a great man!